Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mere Mortals

I have been meaning to do this earlier. But I am somewhat a fussy twat when it comes to writing and just couldn't find the time.
When I first heard of our senior, Sharon Jinnil's death, it didn't really sink in how tragic it was until I heard Nandini telling us about her.

At an age where old classmates should meet at weddings, it had instead been at a funeral.
(Paraphrased from Nandini)

I didn't really know her to tell you the truth.
I think I've only spoken to her once or twice.
But nevertheless, I thought it was only right to attend a memorial service held by her close friends that were still in Jogja - her batch had just graduated a few months back and most were back home in Malaysia.
One of them had prepared a slide show using pictures from her facebook and their personal collection. Sharon spent her birthdays making party packs and celebrating them with cerebral palsy and handicapped children in an orphanage.
Everyone then sat around in a circle talking about their fondest memories of her.
I wished I had the chance to know her better.

About a week back I found out that my cousin's girlfriend is in a coma due to a blood borne infection from her transfusion. She had been in a hit and run accident.
She's 22.My age.
She's on respiratory ventilation.
She needs a miracle.
Her name is Zazrene Fareesha.
I hope you can all remember her and her family in your prayers.
I didn't really know her that well either.
I hope I get the chance.

I know there is no way I can even begin to understand what it is like for their families and the people who are really close to them.Or even try to offer comfort.
But I do believe this and I hope the thought of it helps them through somehow.
Everything happens for a reason.
Somewhere a kid reading about them decides to be a very good doctor who finds the cure to cancer.
Somewhere a jaded lawyer finds renewed conviction in persecuting the guilty and defending the innocent.
Somewhere a man who has not spoken to his father in years decides that life is too short to be wasted on hating.
Somewhere the drivers of the fateful vehicles are lifting their remorse by devoting their life in helping others.
I believe God works in mysterious ways.
You can never really see the big picture.
Mitch Albom's "the five people you meet in heaven" sums it up beautifully:

Each (person) affects the other and the other affects the next and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.


Mankind can't possibly be all that shitty yet.I think most of the time we just need someone to point us in the right direction.And signboards to show us the way.
These are our signboards.
Make every moment count.
And make sure you make your life MATTER.



Ironic isn't it how it is often sorrow and adversity that brings us together?

No comments: